Sunday, November 10, 2013

Kondakadalai Sundal / Chickpeas Sundal with Fresh Ground Spice Paste

Thinking of a quick side which can also be transformed to a snack. Then this one is for you. I love to eat kondakadalai aka garbanzo beans. I mean who doesn't. Amped with spices it makes a great healthy evening snack. I made this last week as a side for spinach masiyal and rice. I and Kavin (for him, I mixed the sundal with white rice and picked out the chana, to remove the heat) loved having this as a side for the earthy spinach masiyal and rice.
Ingredients:
Serves - 3
Chickpeas - cooked - 1-1/2 cups OR 1 can - Click here to know how to make canned beans at home.
Onions - 1/2 of a big one - approx 1/2 cup chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Spice mix:
Dry Red chillies - 3
Ginger - chopped - 1 tsp
Garlic - 1 clove
Tempering / tadka: (optional)
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Chana dhal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - a few
Method:
Pulse the ingredients for spice mix for a couple of times in the small jar of mixie/blender to make a coarse paste. A mortar and pestle also works fine. Heat oil in a saute pan and splutter the ingredients for tempering. Add the onions and saute in medium-high heat until transparent. Add the ground paste and fry for another minute. Add salt to taste and the drained cooked chickpeas and mix well. Remove from heat after 2 minutes. Serve as a side/snack.
Notes: A tbsp of grated coconut can be added at the end before removing from heat.
Linking this to My Legume Love Affair event by Lisa and Susan; Taste of the Tropics - Chilis.

6 comments:

  1. very inviting and tempting sundal dear :) make me drool here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this.My all time fav Krithi..Pass me the bowl plz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely space here n loved ur recipes too... Visit my space also if u get time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for submitting to MLLA Krithi, and congratulations on being the winner!
    http://www.ohtastensee.com/2013/12/01/my-legume-love-affair-65-the-roundup/

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.