Saturday, November 23, 2013

Manga Vathal Kulambu / Dry Mango Tamarind Curry | South Indian Curry Recipes

Packing stuff to bring from India when on vacation is always an exciting thing. Apart from nice Indian dresses for us, I also pack things we do not get here. Grandma's onion pickle, MIL's home made fryums and aunt's multi-purpose spice powder. This time MIL also asked me if I want to take the manga vathal (sundried mango pieces). I was not sure what to do with that, until DH insisted me to pack that to make vathal kulambu. Apparently, he loves manga vathal kulambu very much. I bought 2 packets and still have a little left after making this vathal kulambu few times.

Ingredients:
Manga Vathal / Dried Mango pieces - 1/4 cup - about 6-7 pieces
Gingelly oil - 1/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds / Vendhayam - 1/2 tsp
Pearl onions / Sambar onions - 20 - peeled whole
Garlic - pods from 2 heads - approx 25 cloves
Curry leaves - a few
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder / dhaniya - 2 tsps heaped
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind - size of a small lime - soaked in water and juice extracted - about 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Hot water - 1/2 cup

Method:
Soak the dried mango pieces in hot water. Heat oil in a kadai and add the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. After about half a minute add the peeled whole pearl onions and garlic cloves. Cook in medium-high heat until the onions are three-fourth cooked. Add the spice powders and fry for a minute. Add the tamarind extract, salt and the water from the mango pieces. When it comes to a boil add the mango pieces. Reduce the heat and simmer for a good 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve hot over steamed rice. Keerai kootu or pappad are best combos.
Notes: This kulambu can be stored for upto a week in the fridge, if it lasts that long for you. Remember to use clean, dry spoon every time.

7 comments:

  1. Slurp ! My mouth goes watery.And this one is absolutely worth sharing Krithi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never used dry mango this way .Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i too love mavathal.my mom used to pack me everytime.but my H is not a fan of it .so i will eat them as is:).Mouth watering kulambu krithi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never use mango and tamarind in same recipe, I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very delicious and authentic recipe.. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!! This is the first time I heard about this dish. Thanks for sharing recipe of this food guide. I will try to make it.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.