Monday, December 8, 2014

Sweet Potato Murukku | Indian Festival Recipes

Talking about Murukku may seem to be something out of season this December. I agree. But something to munch on this cold season while I try to make this month's posts decadent is definitely the reason. So watch out, all of this month's post would be indulgent and comforting. 
I saw this recipe for Potato murukku in Saranya's space a few weeks ago. I had been wanting to try it since then. But I think I have been obsessing about making everything "seasonal", so I used sweet potato instead of regular potato.

Ingredients:
Rice flour - 1 cup
Sweet Potato, small - 1 (1/3 cup cooked)
Cumin seeds - a pinch
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - 1/4 tsp or to taste
Pepper, freshly ground - a big pinch
Water - as needed to make the dough
Oil - for deep frying
Method:
Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks. Boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of cumin seeds. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and cook until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool. Mash the cooled potatoes into a smooth paste. Measure it to make 1/3 of cup of paste. Add it to a wide mixing bowl with rice flour, asafoetida, salt and pepper. Mix well with your fingers and sprinkle some water (if needed) to make a smooth dough. 
Heat oil for deep frying. 
Take the murukku press and fit it with the disc with holes or any of your favorite shape. Divide the murukku dough into 2 portions. Put one portion of the dough into the murukku press and close. Pipe the murukku directly in the oil. Turn over after a minute or two and continue frying until the bubbles subside. Drain with a slotted spoon and place in a paper towel to draw excess oil. Store in an air-tight container after it is cooled. Stays good for a week (if it lasts that long). 

3 comments:

  1. delicious and innovative murukku recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! I Love murukku....and i can image how yumm this one would have been made with sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kriti, I am glad that my potato murukku inspired you. Sweet potato murukku sounds different and yum! I guess it should have tasted crisper than normal murukku like sweet potato fries?

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.